Ludus NYC tends to focus on the New York City theater community, but we have readership from all around the world. With that in mind, I’m very excited to announce a new contest for readers in Victoria, Australia!
Les Miserables fans in Victoria will not want to miss Victor Hugo: Les Miserables – From Page to Stage, now open at the State Library of Victoria and running through November 8, 2014. The exhibition is a comprehensive look at the history and legacy of Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables, showcasing the original 1862 manuscript of the novel, original artwork from Hugo, costumes from the stage musical, and interactive displays that put attendees inside the story.
What makes the exhibition even more special is that attendees can have the unique experience of seeing the Les Miserables exhibition at the Stage Library of Victoria and then seeing the new production of Les Miserables in Melbourne at Her Majesty’s Theatre. Sue Roberts, CEO and State Librarian, put it best, “Melbourne is the only city in the world where you will get this experience of being immersed in the world of Les Miserables, literally from page to stage.” Theater-goers will get a deeper understanding of the work and the context of Victor Hugo’s original book, and for young people, it is a fantastic opportunity to tie in the musical with larger social and political issues as well as French history and culture.
Tickets are available online through Ticketek. Pricing is as follows:
Child (3-16): $12
Family (Two Adults + 3 Children): $42
Groups: $11 per person, minimum 10 people (1 complimentary ticket for groups over 20)
School Group: $9 per student, minimum 10 people plus 1 complimentary
My favorite character in Les Miserables is Inspector Javert, so I have loved the State Library of Victoria on Twitter @Library_Vic and their hashtag #WheresJavert. As it turns out, Inspector Javert has been popping up in the most random of places!
At La Petite Creperie!
- To enter, tweet @LudusNYC with your favorite actor who has played Javert with the hashtag #MyJavert. With so many film adaptations and stage productions over the years, there is an abundance of great Javerts to choose from including Roger Allam, Terrence Mann, Philip Quast, Geoffrey Rush, Norm Lewis, John Malkovich, Will Swenson…
Yes, yes, we didn’t forget you, Russell. What did you want on your sandwich, again?
- You must be a Victorian resident to enter.
- You must be following @LudusNYC on Twitter.
- All entries must be submitted on or before October 1, 2014.
- 2 tickets to Victor Hugo: Les Miserables – From Page to Stage at the State Library of Victoria
- The exhibition’s official catalogue featuring works from the exhibition and contributions from curators, scholars, and critics
- Additional merchandise from the exhibition
Thank you so much to the State Library of Victoria for these generous prizes, and for more information on the exhibition, go to http://www.victorhugoexhibition.com.au/